What can I sew with shirting fabrics?
Shirting fabrics - not just for shirts! We share six types of garments you can sew with cotton shirtings.
Shirting fabrics are known for their crisp texture and durability, making them a popular choice for shirts and blouses. However, these fabrics can be versatile and can be used for a variety of sewing projects. Today we share some ideas for what you can sew with shirting fabrics.
- Dresses: Shirting fabrics are perfect for creating a classic and elegant dress. Whether you opt for a fitted sheath dress or a flowing maxi, shirting fabrics can provide a structured yet comfortable base for your garment.
- Skirts: Shirting fabrics can also be used to create simple yet sophisticated skirts. We recommend picking an A-line skirt or pattern that can show off the crisp texture of the shirting fabric.
- Shorts: With warmer weather approaching shirting fabrics can also be used for sewing shorts. These fabrics are durable and breathable, making them ideal for summer shorts. Looser fit and relaxed styles work best and make sure to test the opacity of your fabric. Shirtings also make great boxer shorts.
- Tops: Of course, shirting fabrics are a classic choice for sewing shirts and blouses. Whether you're going for a button-up or a more flowy silhouette, shirting fabrics can give your garment a timeless look.
- Accessories: Finally, shirting fabrics can be used to create a variety of accessories, such as scarves, headbands, and even handbags. These fabrics can add a touch of sophistication to any accessory.
- Pajamas: sew up a classic set of jammies in cotton shirtings for a cool and comfortable, yet timeless sleep set.
If you're looking for some ready-to-wear inspiration for your shirtings we have another blog post with styles perfect for Spring.
In conclusion, shirting fabrics can be a versatile and durable option for a variety of sewing projects. From dresses to accessories, these fabrics can provide a classic and polished look to any garment or accessory.