March and April 2020 Sewing Workshops – Sorry, all workshops have been CANCELLED as we take precautionary measures against the spread of the COVID-19 virus
#1. Introduction to Quilting – Make a Baby Quilt CANCELLED
Have you always wanted to make a quilt but not sure where to begin? Join us for an introductory course on quilt making presented by members of the Vancouver Quilters Guild. You will be guided through the process of fabric selection, an overview of the quilt pattern, using rotary cutters and quilt rulers, piecing, joining the quilt layers together and edge binding.
- Instructors: Vancouver Quilters Guild Sewing Instructors (Janet and Alison)
- Skills: General sewing knowledge and experience using domestic sewing machines
- Equipment/Supplies: Instructors will
e-mail students with supplies and materials needed. Domestic sewing machines are available for use in the OSF Shop. Students may bring their own sewing machine to the class, if they prefer.
- It is preferable that students have access to a sewing machine between the classes, since there may not be time to complete all tasks in class
- Cost: $120 for two 4 hr classes
#2. SEW WHAT! Drop in Sewing session CANCELLED
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
$20 for the 1st hour & $15 for each additional hour.
What are you working on? Get expert help with your sewing projects, use our sewing space and machines.
Limited Spaces – Reserve your spot today – contact the instructor directly at: email@example.com
#3. Hoodie Workshop CANCELLED
Who doesn’t need a cozy hoodie made from fabulous hoodie fabrics at OSF! This is a great two lesson course suitable for male and female students. This course is designed to teach you how to sew with knits while attaching a hood, sleeves, and pockets on knit fabrics. You will feel confident with the new techniques learned during this course and become a fearless knit expert.
- Instructor: Tanja McAffer, Sewcial Patterns
- Skills: Student will have some general sewing experience
- Equipment/Supplies: Bring your own basic sewing kit (scissors, seam ripper, measuring tape, straight pins—we also have supplies in the workshop area)
Domestic sewing machines will be provided in the OSF Shop. Students are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to the class, if they prefer.
- Students will trace the hoodie pattern from a master and then adjust the pattern using their own measurements. The student will then cut the hoodie fabric using the customized pattern pieces. Students will leave with the customized paper pattern and a sewn hoodie.
Students may purchase cotton hoodie fleece at OSF Sale Events on Sunday, Feb 23 (10am-1pm) or Thursday, March 12 (2-8pm) It would be a good idea to pre-wash your fabric before cutting it in class.
- Cost: $110 fpr twp 3.5 hr classes
#4. Invisible Mending—Repair your Knits CANCELLED
Learn how to mend your favorite knit garment or that special sweater from your Mom or Dad.
Roz can teach you to repair your sweater or knit garment in a way that is almost invisible (and sometimes is.) Using a weaving technique and ‘wooly nylon’ thread you can repair your moth holes and disintegrating seams on most knits. Bring a sweater or two to the workshop and we will take you through the steps of ‘invisible mending’ for sweaters, knit t-shirts and even nylon hosiery.
- Instructor: Roz McNulty, Fashion Innovation Centre
- Students may wish to bring a few knit garments to review with the instructor. There will be opportunities for one-on-one consultation with the instructor as well as group teaching sessions.
- This course will focus primarily on hand sewing techniques using ‘wooly nylon’ (note we have a number of spools of ‘wooly nylon’ yarn that you can use, but we may not have the exact colour to match your garment)
- Bring a basic sewing kit (scissors, seam ripper, needles etc)
- Cost: $45—1 session, 2.5 hrs. Class size: 12 students.
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending the next class.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com